Monday, March 15, 2010

Fotofest So Far

Even though I'm completely and totally exhausted (and leave painfully early in the morning for New York for Aipad), I have to admit that March is a really exciting month here at John Cleary Gallery. Fotofest opened Friday, and I had a great day reviewing the artists with whom I was lucky enough to be matched. I found some work that was great (but not right for my gallery) and some work that was great (AND right for my gallery). Two artists with whom I'm friendly from Fotofests past (Catherine Cameron and Oyvind Hjelmen) asked me if I love my job. I admitted that my favorite part was looking at fine art photography all day, and Fotofest definitely fills that bill.

The best part of Fotofest for me this year is that each and every artist with whom I've met (both at The Meeting Place and at the gallery) has been completely ready for the review experience, i.e., listening to what each reviewer has to say with an open mind. One artist, Deborah Samuels is a mentee of Jeffrey Becom and his charming wife Sally Aberg. Monica Cheon, with whom I met two years ago, is still making beautiful work. Rania Matar and Natan Divir are planning to combine their series of youths into a joint project that promises to be enlightening. I could go on and on and on and on, but then you'd have no reason to come to the gallery in July for my "Found" show that will highlight all the fabulous work I've... well... found, this weekend.

Saturday was a very busy day at the gallery. I met with artists and tried to ready myself for AIPAD while Eric, Morgan, and Mauro set up the installation of Mauro Firoese's "mockumentary." I was so pleased to have a great crowd for the event that I'm going to show the work again this Saturday! If you missed it last week, be sure and get to the gallery on Saturday, March 20 from 6-8 p.m. to see the film (featuring the likes of Duane Michaels, Maggie Taylor, Jerry Ueslmann, Michael Kenna, Keith Carter, and a certain gallery owner who shall remain nameless due to her complete lack of acting ability), the Jefferson Hayman exhibition, and snag a signed book by Thomas Kellner.

For those of you in the greater New York City area, I'll see you all week at the Park Avenue Armory for AIPAD: The Photography Show in booth 118!

No comments:

Post a Comment